Pet Dermatology and Pet Allergies: What You Need to Know
Your pet’s skin is susceptible to many of the same irritations as your own! Coming into contact with allergens can cause significant scratching and itching. Pet allergies can develop throughout a lifetime, so while your pet may exhibit no issues now, that could change. Keeping an eye on your pet’s behavior can help you decide when the right time is to bring them to us. At Companion Animal Hospital Oak Park, we offer a range of pet dermatology services to help your pet cope with allergy symptoms.
Common Pet Allergies
Your pet can experience an allergic reaction to any number of environmental factors. Some of the most common cases of pet allergies include:
- Allergic dermatitis, which happens when your pet comes into contact with environment allergens such as pollen, molds, dust mites, and even grass.
- Flea dermatitis, which is a severe reaction to flea bites.
- Food allergies, which require an elimination diet and months of observation to determine whether their current food was the cause.
Dermatology Services and Treatments
To determine the cause of an allergic reaction, we can perform a number of diagnostic services such as allergy testing, skin cytology, and blood testing. If food-related, the diet must be changed and observed. No matter the cause or symptoms, we can treat your pet’s allergies with a number of treatments including:
- Medicated shampoos and topicals
- Oral medication such as an antihistamine
- Injectable medication such as allergy shots
Allergies are not a one-and-done kind of deal. There is no cure, so consistent care and treatment are essential in helping your pet live a comfortable, itch-free life. Beyond your pet’s regular check-ups to ensure treatments are working, we are always available to talk with you about other options and any questions you may have. Get in contact today!